Jonathan Acquired Sophisticated Weapons To Fight Boko Haram – Ex-NSA Sambo
Following claims by the former Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshall Alex Badeh,that Boko Haram defeated the Nigerian Army because they lacked weapons, the immediate past National Security Adviser Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd) on Thursday affirmed that the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan acquired sophisticated weapons which helped the Nigerian Armed Forces recovered many local governments that had been occupied by Boko Haram terrorists, especially in the past one year.
The former Chief of Defence Staff who was sacked by President Muhammadu Buhari on 13, July made this known during the pull out ceremony organized for him last week.In an interview he granted PRNigeria, a website which the military regularly uses to publicize its activities, he said…
“The armored tanks have comprehensive NBC protection system, just as we deployed Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles that we bought and could withstand improvised explosive device (IED) attacks and ambushes. The vehicles had protected our troops from the land mine threats.
“We are glad that we also provided assorted Armoured Personnel Carriers to transport troops to the battlefield. They are armed for self-defence and to provide protection from attacks from shrapnel and small arms fire.
“All these were acquired in the last one year after years of frustration by Western powers who denied us of the equipment and sabotage our efforts to acquire same from other sources which are reasons for some delay in delivery,
“It was unfortunate that some elements are frustrating the efforts as we even had to query some suppliers for delay in delivery of arms and ammunitions,”
“Not only did we ensure that the elections were peaceful, Shekau has never spoken to threaten anyone again since then,”
“In attempt to rubbish individuals for whatever reasons, political or otherwise, we should be careful not to rubbish sensitive institutions and their personnel that might still be in active the service.
“It is unfortunate that some elements hide under the cover of anonymity in the media to rubbish some of the sacrifices we made. They should the take the courage to come out publicly by identifying themselves with their baseless allegations, ” Sambo said in obvious reactions to allegations of mismanagement of billions of naira budgeted for the purchase of weapons when he was in office.