Siblings Die In Kerosene Explosion
Two siblings have died in a kerosene explosion in Akwa State.
Three persons, including their father, were injured.
An eyewitness said the incident occurred at Ikono Ibom in Uyo Local Government.
The injured victim, Mr. Michael Nsikak, a tricycle operator and father of three, sustained burns. His two children died in the explosion.
Nsikak, who also operates a poultry near his home at Ikot Enyingne Ikono, said:
“I bought kerosene from a filling station on Idoro Road after closing from my tricycle (keke) business.
“When I got home, I lit the lantern in my poultry, to keep my chicken warm. Later, when the lantern wanted to go off, following the exhaustion of kerosene, I refilled it with the product.
“My children were with me. As I attempted to light the lantern, there was an explosion. The fire made me to become unconscious.”
The Nation learnt that one of the children died a few hours after the incident and the second the following day at the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH).
The Chairman of Uyo Local Government Transition Committee, Ben Mfon and his wife, Bridget, visited the victim at the hospital.
A woman from the same community and her three-month old baby were also hospitalised as a result of kerosene explosion.
Mfon condoled with them and advised the public to be cautious and vigilant.
He assured residents that the perpetrators of the unwholesome act would be arrested.
Source: The Nation