World Cup: Lawmaker Cautions Against Sex With Foreigners
Russian women have been told to resist the temptation to enter intimate relationship with foreign players and fans alike during the month long display of soccer artistry.
A senior law maker in Russia Tamara Pletnyova who gave the charge on Wednesday said sex with foreigners while the competition lasted could result into pregnancy later leading to single motherhood.
More than half a million fans from across the world are expected in 11 Russian cities that will host the football championship between June 14 and July 15.
Pletnyova who is head of state Duma’s Family, Women and Children Committee said it is necessary to avoid a repeat of what happened when country hosted the 1980 Olympics.
“Bearing the children of non-Russians could lead to broken families, Tamara Pletnyova said, adding “These children will later suffer and have suffered in the Soviet era,”
Russia’s birth rate hit its lowest level in a decade last year despite government efforts to encourage Russians to reverse the demographic trend.
“We should be giving birth to our own children. I’m not a nationalist, but still,” said Pletnyova.
A recent independent Levada Center survey indicate that Russians prefer watching TV to sex, but expected influx of soccer fans from accross the globe it is suspected in some quarters, could trigger off interest among those who may have been shied away from stating exactly which one the prefer. The poll was conducted among 1,600 respondents in 52 Russian regions between April 20 and April 24.
The much awaited World cup will kick off Thursday with host country Russia taking on Saudi Arabia at the 81 thousand capacities Luzhniki Stadium. Forecast for the opening match gave hosts as much as 67% chance of winning the tie while Saudi Arabia is given 11% chance of winning with 22% of the game ending in a score or goalless draw.